Thursday 17 April 2008

week 4

I went and had a chat and the lactation consultant adjusted the way I was holding S and we were both hopeful that that would sort the problem. She reassured me that even if it didn’t there were other things we could do culminating in a drug to increase milk production as I had commented that I never felt my milk come in properly. The tongue tie was left as she didn’t think it would affect S’s feeding. She gave her a thorough exam and S was able to extend her tongue properly so the lactation consultant decided to leave it for the time being.

We were being weighed on Monday and on Thursdays throughout this process with a Health Visitor coming to the house on the Monday and me going to see the lactation consultant in a clinic 30 mins drive away on a Thursday.

By the 26 November when she was nearly 4 weeks old she was 7lb71/2 oz.

Her poo wasn’t as much as E’s had been and her nappies weren’t soaking wet like E’s used to be. She also didn’t posset as much as E used to.

By the Thursday- 3 days later there was no weight gain. I had been doing switch feeding, breast compressions and I had been taking 3 tablets of fenugreek 3 times a day and still no difference.

The lactation consultant suggested that I take Domperidone- 10mg 3 times a day and she also gave me a hospital breast pump on loan. The idea behind the pump was to stimulate milk production rather than collecting milk. Good job really as for the first few days I wasn’t getting any milk at all. Throughout all of this process I was feeling very low and concerned about my baby. S had been seen by 2 Gp’s in case there was something serious the matter, we had done urine tests on S (that was fun) and I was seeing the lactation consultant every week.

My Health visitor was very supportive and is a colleague of the lactation consultant’s and she facilitated me getting the domperidone that day and even took the prescription to the chemist for me- all I had to do was collect the tablets from the chemist.

No comments: