Thursday 17 April 2008

10 weeks

Upped her formula to 150ml a day over 2 feeds and I’m still expressing and actually getting about 20ml per side now- stocking that up in the freezer. It’s not as good as when I had E but it’s better than it was. She was weighed again when she was 9 weeks old and she was 8 15 a gain of 6 oz from the previous week. Doctor was happy with that and says it’s about average- an ounce a day with a day off on Sunday so 6 oz a week J

I know that a lot of people would have given up by now but being able to feed my baby is to me an inherent part of being a mother. She regained her birthweight at 8 weeks which isn’t what is expected.

If our trust didn’t have someone as highly trained as Sharon then I would have been ‘forced’ I think to turn to formula. All along I have said that if formula was necessary then I wouldn’t hesitate in giving it to her but I really needed to explore every avenue before abandoning breastfeeding. S’s health was paramount to me and of tantamount importance and I really needed medical support to reassure me that I was doing ok. Hopefully we’ve turned a corner now and the weight will continue to pile on J

Met with Sharon again and I was looking forward to starting to get back to normal but had a bit of a let down. S at 10 weeks only put an ounce on in 6 days. Sharon looked at the whole month and was quite happy that she had put 1lb and 5 oz on over the month.

Wasn’t really getting on with the supplementer so have started giving S her formula via a bottle- in discussion with Sharon. So she is having 90ml of formula 12 hours apart via bottle. No nipple confusion although she initially doesn’t like the teat of the bottle but soon guzzles the formula. She sicks some of it back up as wind

At my suggestion and with Sharon’s agreement we have increased my domperidone to 3 tablets 3 times a day. Sharon is a bit worried that some gp’s may not like to keep prescribing the domperidone. It can be bought over the counter but will be expensive at the rate I’m having to take it. The Gp rang in the week and I had a good chat with her. I expressed my worries about the domperidone and she said that we would just have to arm me with info for the doctors- she was reassuring me that it wouldn’t be a problem. I had nearly run out at the weekend but the doctor gave me a repeat prescription again for it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I am going through similat stuff to you, baby will be 9wks tomorrow.
I am also giving formula top ups by bottle, how much did you give in one go, and did you give it as a complete feed or before/after bf? any particular tips?